I originally had this idea of beautiful, mixed, miss-matching cutlery for our wedding back when we were planning. And every year when Spring rolls around I get a bit bored with things in my house and get a little crafty. All the cutlery we own we’ve had since we moved into out on our own all those years ago… and let’s just say it’s less then awesome, and more of the “omg-we-just-moved-out-and-need-EVERYTHING”, easily bending, plain jane, el-cheapo k-mart variety. So I made some new ones! #thankyoupinterest
So there are a couple ways you can do this, I tried using spray paint (good if you want all the fine details) but the paint chipped/scratched pretty easily in the “testing” stages. I ended up going the “just gonna dip it in the damn paint can” method, the details aren’t as fine, but they’re pretty good still.
What you’ll need:
A whole bunch of clean, mixed (or matching if thats your thing) cutlery
Spray on Metal primer
The Paint – I used Dulux Guard Rust Gloss Enamel
A place to dry everything! I used a clothes drying rack/airer with some pegs and rubber bands. I wanted the “dripping” to happen at the end rather than on one of the sides and this was the first way I thought of… Also I could paint most of them in one session.
How it’s done:
Find all the cutlery! I went to my two local Salvation Army thrift/op shops, it took three visits over two weeks to find enough different pieces for what I wanted to do. The sign says 20c each, but if you fill up a basket they generally round it out, I think I paid roughly $20 dollars.
Use the painter’s tape to tape around the all the handles to where you feel like painting to. Leave them to dry (the can said 2 hours, I got distracted and left it a day). I removed the tape before dipping but you could leave it if you wanted a very crisp line.
I used several different colours, I divvied up the pile of primed utensils into batches, it’s easiest to do one colour at a time. It’s painting time! I looped around the “bungie” rubber band and dipped each fork/knife/spoon into the paint and let the excess runoff until it was safe to hang on the clothes rack via peggies. (Also, I flattened out a box and placed it underneath to catch all the drips.)
The waiting game, the paint can says “2-4 hours” I checked it the next day and it was still a little soft. I ended up leaving/forgetting about it for 5 days…they were pretty dry by then.